Wednesday, August 27, 2014

WIP Wednesday: disappearing nine patch

While I've made quilts for friends and family, I have yet to sew a patchwork quilt for my daughter.  I wanted to assemble something with lots of bright, vivid colors, and since I had yet to try a disappearing nine patch, I thought it would be fun to attempt.

At a recent and rare trip to JoAnn's I found these Denyse Schmidt coordinates and mixed them with some others to cut 4" squares.


I like to add a lot of white to all my quilts to give the eyes a rest from all the bright colors and patterns I tend to incorporate, so four of my nine patches were white in all the blocks I sewed together.



I used the navy polka dots for the centers of all my blocks so that I could use the same pattern in my final quilt top design.


Once the nine patch blocks were sewn together and pressed, it was easy to halve, then quarter them.



I used a variety of colors and prints for the four corners to mix it up.  I like that this technique allows one to create a variety of different layouts, depending on the colors and patterns used in the nine patches and how one decides to twist and turn the sewn blocks.

While I'm happy with how it's coming together, it seems I've hit a roadblock, and I'm just not sure where to go with it now.  I've considered adding more of the same blocks or some new ones, but I can't decide.  More red?  Less red?  Sometimes red overpowers all the other colors.

So on the floor it sits, much to the dismay of all who enter our dining room.

I'm hoping this WIP becomes a finish very soon.


No comments:

Post a Comment