Monday, June 30, 2014

just a pillow cover


Several nights ago I haphazardly pieced some leftover fabric coordinates. The finished "top" was too small for a playmat or quilt, so I decided to make another envelope pillow cover.  I actually haven't made one of these in a few years, but I was excited to find the tutorial I originally used was still available here courtesy of Cluck Cluck Sew.  It is easy to follow, the creative possibilities are endless, and it makes for a rewarding beginner project.

If you're a quilter, then you can clearly see I didn't take great care in piecing these 2 1/2 inch squares together.  I know there's a method to the madness, and I know better, but it was 11 at night, my baby was finally asleep, and I just wanted to make something.  Anything.


So I randomly started sewing them together.  And it was almost the perfect size for a 15x15" cover...slightly long one way and a tad short on the other, but it would work.

It only required two fabric rectangles in addition to the front cover.


Using her instructions, I quickly pinned and stitched, right sides together.



I contemplated adding batting and quilting the cover itself, but decided to leave it as it was.

The colors alone make me happy.





Friday, June 27, 2014

meet my brother

Two days ago I decided I was getting myself a serger.  For the longest time I didn't really need it because I did more quilting than anything, but when I recently started sewing clothing, I thought it finally time to do so.


I had actually been contemplating this purchase for a long time and read various reviews, but I kept putting it off.  I didn't know if it was worth spending the money.

The problem is, I suffer from serger-phobia.  Its appearance alone with multiple spools (rather large spools, I might add) feeding in all directions is incredibly intimidating.  I mean, how on earth do you thread this thing?  I feared it might end up collecting dust in the corner of the closet, simply because I feared IT.

But my hope is that my "garments" might look a tad more polished and professional, and the only way to improve my sewing is to continue challenging myself with new obstacles.

So here I will share what I learn as I go, starting with the most basic of skills: figuring out how to turn it on.

Ha!

I went with the Brother 1034D and found it on Amazon.  This seems to be a pretty basic serger and quite popular, I might add; the reviews were decent.  It also looks like it's been around a while, as the married couple on the box look to be hitched circa 1990.


It even came with some handy thread in primary colors to get started.  I guess this means I can use regular spools instead of those humongous ones?  That's a bonus in itself.

So, if you're new to serging too and want to share your progress or offer some insight, please feel free to do so.  I would love having people along on this new adventure...

Wednesday, June 25, 2014

it's a WIP wednesday

I'm hoping if I designate Wednesday as my WIP (work in progress) day, I might actually get some of my projects finished.  I don't have much free time these days, so a few hours during the weekends is my only chance to be creative.

I have a quilt top that I started for Sophia a while ago.  I never finished it because I wasn't fond of the colors...typically I prefer lots of whites and brights, but I veered away from my normal path with a darker red and yellow and pink.  It's still not particularly pleasing to my eye, but I really want to finish it at this point.  I just can't decide what to back or bind it with, so if you have any suggestions, please comment.  


This other WIP resulted from insomnia last night.  I was wired, everyone else was asleep, so I just started sewing some scraps left over from a jelly roll.  As usual, I didn't have a plan.  Typically, my unplanned adventures result in a pile of wasted fabric.


Unfortunately, I only had a few coordinates, so I'm not sure if I will make this into a pillow or a mini/doll quilt, as it's not even large enough to be a playmat.  We shall see...

I am terrible at following rules.  I didn't measure, nor did I pin, and my cutting was careless.  I know there's a particular way to piece these so they lay nice and flat, corners nesting into one another just so.  But I'm either too stubborn or lazy, or both.  I did press all my seams, though, so hopefully the finished product won't be too wonky.