Saturday, December 1, 2012

happy december

During the week I daydream about what I'd do with my free time if I didn't have a real job.  Once Friday arrives, I anxiously drive home in hopes of having some quiet creative time.  But I typically crash and burn on the couch by 7.

I woke early on Saturday with two goals in mind: 1) to complete my first quilt block and 2) to start the quilt top for a friend's baby boy, due in January.  Fortunately I was able to finish both, which rarely happens.

The quilt block is block #1 from the Fat Quarter Shop's Mystery Block of the Month.  I joined the club nearly a year ago because I wanted to push myself to finish at least one small project a month.  However, despite them sending me 7 months' worth of blocks, I am just getting to the first.






While I admit I'm not a fan of geometric-looking blocks, I wanted to try this to challenge myself.   I am relatively new to quilting and have so much to learn, so I need to continue stepping out of my comfort zone.  I am slow and clearly need some expert tips on how to improve my measurements and angles so that everything lines up just so...


My friend is having her first baby in January, so I asked her to select some fabric so I could make him a quilt.  She picked At the Farm by Robert Kaufman, so I assembled a little quilt top this morning.  I'm hoping to stop by Jo-Ann's sometime this week so I can back it with some soft brown minky.

I have some other ideas in the works for this little guy...

No comments:

Post a Comment